AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking traffic to sub-domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.

I'm hoping you can help me out with this one.

We have a website that has multiple Wordpress frameworks with sub-domain URLs but all in the same server. It was implemented like this to lighten server load.

So for example:

"www.homepage.com" is a single WordPress framework.
"www.subdomain.homepage.com" is another WordPress framework.
"www.subdomain01.homepage.com" is another WordPress framework.

and so on and so forth. The devs applied the same Google Analytics tracking code for each but it seems like traffic isn't being recorded properly.

The devs applied the same Google Analytics tracking code for each site. Would this have an affect on how traffic is recorded on Google Analytics? As of now, traffic is dropping and given that the website is monetized through Google Adsense, their usual ad profit has also dropped.

Hoping to get a few insights from you guys. Thanks!

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

same GA code on different sub domains is fine.

make sure referral exclusion list is updated for: Cross-subdomain tracking

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried debugging two different pages using the Google Analytics debugger Chrome extension and I saw two different implementations.

One subdomain had this: Running command ga("create", UA-xxxxxxxx-x", "homepage.com")

While another subdomain had this: Running command ga("create", UA-xxxxxxxx-x", "auto")

Could this be a reason?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

shouldn't be , but try changing all to 'auto'