AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking sessions of a redirect URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Background:

I have a client who partners with agoda.com. To route traffic through his own site they have a redirect url xyz.com.hk/agoda. All the marketing channels use xyz.com.hk/agoda as a landing page once user clicks on an ad he gets redirected to agoda.com.

Issue:

My Google analytics property for xyz.com.hk is not able to track all the visits that are landing on xyz.com.hk/agoda, there is a huge discrepancy in website clicks and sessions.

Can you please help me on how to configure my GA and GTM to get the sessions tracked properly.

Thank you,

Rohit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rohit K
May 2016

Re: Tracking sessions of a redirect URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
The best option would be to click on these links and check with a browser request debugger such as firefox, charles, fiddler and check if the GA tag fires before the redirect happens.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Sessions / landing on xyz.com.hk/agoda won't be tracked if the redirect happens before the GA code fires on xyz.com.hk site. If you would like to track the sessions / landing on xyz.com.hk, then you need to delay the redirect until the GA code fires on xyz.com.hk. Also, bear in mind that if you delay the redirect too much, the user experience for your users may suffer a bit.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a delay of 3 seconds now. Can you suggest some ideal delay to balance both.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rohit K
May 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
The best option would be to click on these links and check with a browser request debugger such as firefox, charles, fiddler and check if the GA tag fires before the redirect happens.