Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking multiple subdomains (85+ subdomains) - advice needed

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I use subdomains for each of my customers (this is how they login to their accounts). I want to know the best way to setup GA tracking for each of my subdomains. Right now I have about 85 customers (85 subdomains), but that number will continue to grow as my business grows.

Ideally, I'd like to use 1 GA account (1 tracking code) but that's not possible because each account is limited to 25 views.

What do you think is the best way for me to setup GA tracking for 85+ subdomains? Create an account for each? The problem with that is each Google account is limited to 100 GA accounts.

Feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking multiple subdomains (85+ subdomains) - advice needed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Best practice is to create separate a GA account for each client. This makes it possible to give the client 'their' data (account) should they decide to leave your service. It is not possible to sever a Property from an Account. It also makes it possible to share data and reports and modify access in one account without risking exposure to your other clients.

Although you can only create 100 or so account per login, you can assign all of your accounts to a single login to make your own reporting/admin tasks easier. I know some agencies create a MyAgencyClient@gmail.com account for each client and create the GA account with that, then provide Admin access to their agency email and go from there. Should a client want to leave, their account can easily be severed.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike, in our case we have a web application and information is not provided to customers. We use the data to understand customer adoption. As Bryan, each customer has its own subdomain (for instance the application is www.example.com and the customer is www.client.example.com). We need to know for example how many times each customer accessed to its subdomain (so it could be there were 3 access to www.client.example.com in the X period). Is this possible with Google Analytics? Thanks!!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Gonzalo - yes, it can be done. In your case, though, the clients are using your server, so I would argue that the data is yours. You can split by 'hostname' in GA, either through a single tracking code and view-filters, or by having separate tracking codes. If you take the stance that it is your data, there would be no need to transfer the ownership at a later date, and you could do it all with your one account.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Mike. Is it possible to do that in a single view? As far as I understand separate views need to be created per subdomain, however, up to 25 views are allowed per account. Is that correct? So in our case having 500 customers / subdomains awould need 20 accounts, right? Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You can have all 500 subdomains in the one view, and then use filtering or segments on the reports to split them by Hostname. That will NOT let you grant access to the individual clients, though -- it would be for your use only. That's a lot of custom reports/segments...

You can grant different access to the view, property (tracking code) or account level. View filters are created at the account level, so if you want to give clients their own view filtering capability, then you should set up separate accounts for each.