Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking metrics for SiteA are showing in GA reports for SiteB

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Whenever I've come across this before, the cause was having the wrong UA number, multiple analytics.js scripts firing, or something along those lines. Using Tag Assistant or GA Debug it was pretty easy to see the cause and back track it to incorrect set-up. Not this time. The websites are hosted on the same platform but otherwise not connected to each other.

SiteA has its own GA Account and Property. SiteB also has its own GA Account and Property. SiteB reporting (Behavior > Site Content > All Pages - Secondary dimension: Hostname) lists Page/Hostname lines that are for SiteA. Clicking the little view page pop-out icon opens pages that display content for SiteA. In the new window, the Hostname in the location field is for SiteB but the PagePath is for SiteA (in this case a department specific to SiteA). This works since both sites are on the same platform which is hosting 100's of sites. All the sites share the same core framework, which results in any site being able to display any department, simply requires mating a valid Hostname with a valid PagePath.

But this isn't making any sense how are metrics from SiteA ending up in reporting for SiteB when I can find no instance of SiteB's UA number firing on SiteA? Feels like I'm missing something. Or GA is where the cross-wiring is occurring. Some Properties have recently been reorganized, moved between Account with the new "Move property" capability. Has there been instances of cross-channeling after moves?

Scratching my head,

Kurt Lindner Lippisch

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

If it were me, I'd definitely be interested in troubleshooting the code - are you 100% sure that the tracking code for B is not on A as well? I'd recommend scanning the sites - using a tool like screaming frog - to check which code is where.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

John,

I appreciate your response. Looking at SiteB GA reporting Behavior > ... > All Pages and selecting a specific page from SiteA that is included I've inspected that page using Tag Assistant, GA DeBug and Fiddler4. The only GA script being triggered is for the SiteA GA account. Digging through HTML and JS on the page nothing points to GA Property for SiteB. If Tag Assistant isn't seeing any activity for SiteB Property on the page I'm circumspect any other analysis tool will see anything. And Fiddler4 is capturing all HTTP traffic, the only collect is for SiteA Property. But the reports have the mixed data so it's getting there somehow. Trying a different analysis tool seems like a shot in the dark, but worth a try I guess.

Cheers,

Kurt