AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking magazine article downloads when URL for PDF is shared

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am editor of an association magazine. I am hoping to track PDF downloads when our members send the direct URL link to non-members, e.g., www.association.ca/magazine1/article1.pdf

I’ve found two possible approaches:

1. Implementation of some Server-Side code through Google Analytics Measurement Protocol.
  2. Use of Final URL

Might anyone kindly be able to verify if either could work?

Might there be a simpler way of tracking PDF downloads that don’t originate from the magazine’s web site?

I’d be most grateful for any pointers.

Bruce V

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bruce V
December 2015

Re: Tracking magazine article downloads when URL for PDF is shared

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Zorin,

Thank-you very much for taking the time to reply.

We can live with the limitations you mention -- just having some measurement of which articles appeal to non-members is a big step forward.

We are currently tracking PDF downloads as events using analytics.js, so it seems we just need to construct the payloads.

Many thanks again,
Bruce V

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

measurement protocol would be the way to do this though please note that the method will be really limited in terms of further attribution to traffic sources and other dimensions inside GA - in terms of user / client id persistence across sessions.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bruce V
December 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Zorin,

Thank-you very much for taking the time to reply.

We can live with the limitations you mention -- just having some measurement of which articles appeal to non-members is a big step forward.

We are currently tracking PDF downloads as events using analytics.js, so it seems we just need to construct the payloads.

Many thanks again,
Bruce V