Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking individual pages stopped working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're using Doc-to-help software to create online help for our software, we have embedded the GA tracking code which previously tracked all pages, however sometime in October it appears that it no longer tracks the individual pages and only the homepage is showing stats. Do you have any suggestions as to what caused this and how we can resolve?

This is the code we are using:

<script src="jquery.nethelp.ga.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var _gaq = _gaq || [];
var pluginUrl = '//www.google-analytics.com/plugins/ga/inpage_linkid.js';
_gaq.push(['_require', 'inpage_linkid', pluginUrl]);
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-XXXXXX-Y']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src=('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();
</script>

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking individual pages stopped working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Caroline,

Please make sure that the tracking code is added to every page on the site. You can check if it appears in the source code and you can also use the Google Tag Assistant or GA Debugger Chrome extensions to check if your tracking tag is working.

You are using the classic analytics tracking code, it is recommended to upgrade to Universal Analytics. You can get the new tracking code from Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info -> Tracking Code.

If you can post your site URL I'd glad to help debugging.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The code wasn't on every page previously and was still tracking each page, has something changed in analytics so that I now have to add the code to each page? Is there a 'cheats' way of doing this rather than opening each page to add it? The reason I ask is because a new help centre is created each quarter which means adding to each page each time the content is created.
If I use Google tag assistant do I need to change my code?
Our site has strict security measures so only certain IP addresses can access.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The easiest way to add the tracking code to each page is to add it to the header file that is included in all pages (if your site has a header file like this).
Google Tag Assistant can detect the old code so no need to change the code.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your help Arnold, the code is already in the header file which all pages use, however looking at it I think this may be an issue with our software where the pages no longer refer to this file rather than GA.