Analytics
6K members online now
6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking from emails, through an externally held form

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having issues tracking people to out site coming from emails. I have implemented Google Analytics tracking code, using the URL builder however, people sometimes need to login. This login form is held by an external system - pardot. As a result, when people go through the login page, they are tracked as a pardot referal not an email.

Do you think it would be possible to have code (similar to that across our website) put into our form? or an alternate solution.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marie-Helena F
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

try adding the Pardot domain name from your list of referrers.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Julien! Will analytics still see the session as starting from email? (As opposed to marking it as direct or something else)?  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

That's the thing, it will ignore Pardot and count it as direct traffic, thereby preserving email as the traffic source

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's such good news, thank you so much. Last question I promise, will I still need to include the unique tracking code to have the source appear as email?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

probably not but I suggest you keep it in there for good measure, in case you want to capture it on the confirmation page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much, you have saved me so much time.