1.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have the following issue / question:

For GA I track the following events:
A: Who logs in on my site and how many times
B: Which products are being added to the shopping cart and how many times, not per user but for all users in general
C:  Which products are being viewed, not per user but for all users in general

I was wondering if it is possible to connect point B and C to point A. So that we can see that user A ad products E and F to his shopping cart and that he viewed products E, F,G and H on my website.

I dont know if this is at al possible and how to do this or is this walking on slippery ice? regarding google guidelines, which I certainly don'tt want to cross! I read something about custom dimensions, is that the right way to go?

You're input would be really appreciated

With kind regards

1 Expert replyverified_user

Tracking events

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

your questions sound like Enhanced Ecommerce to me:

Not using Tag Manager:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce

Using Tag Manager:

https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/enhanced-ecommerce

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Tracking events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Antti N,

First of all: thanks a lot for your fast contribution.

I read the enhanced Ecommerce topic, and I think it is not quite the solution to my question, but maybe I read over it or something. I will try to explain the story better:

Let's assume the following.

1: the user 'ReneDictus' logs in on my site = this event is tracked and within GA it is stated: ReneDictus Log in's: 1

2: 'ReneDictus' goess onto a stroll on my site, watching product A , B ,C and D = This event is tracked and we get a notice from GA that these products are viewed, but not by who.

3: 'ReneDictus' eventually adds product B and D to his Cart = This event is Tracked and we get a notice from GA that product B and D are added to cart, but not by who.

So for step 2 and 3, we see the numbers of what products have been viewed and which of these products have been added to the cart. These numbers are the total numbers. So lets say we see that product A has been viewed 30 times and product B 66 times.

But we cannot see by who these products have been viewed or added to the cart.

So I was wondering if it is possible to Combine step 2 and 3 to step 1. So that we can see which products 'ReneDictus' has viewed and which he added to the cart. Or maybe only combining step 2 to 1?

Or maybe this isn't at all possible, but I like to know

Tracking events

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Then you would have to have User ID added in your reports. So one way could be adding it as custom dimension. Then if you wish to combine this to actual user/customer in your records you do a little excel exercise.

Please note that the User ID stored in GA cannot be PII information e.g. email address. And in some countries if you want to abide legal requirements regarding storing PII information even adding the user id to GA can be interpreted illegal. In this I cannot give you definite answer since that is something for people with completely different pay grade Smiley Happy

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.