Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking .com and .co.uk Site Variants

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, we currently run a .co.uk site for which the tracking is set up and working correctly. But in the near future we wish to bring on a new site that will target countries such as the US, Australia, New Zealand etc. For this we are going to duplicate the site and bring it onto a .com domain whilst still maintaining the .co.uk site. For the sake of continuity of historical data we obviously would like to maintain the current UA Code. There will not necessarily be traffic between the sites so the cross-domain element will be insignificant from what i am told (although what you are told about a thing and the reality of that thing we all know can be completely different). Also added to that there is also some talk about moving the .co.uk traffic to the .com site anyway. 

My questions are as follows:

• Is this simply a case of putting the current GTM tags on the new domain with the current UA codes and then creating a couple of new views in Analytics for the .co.uk and the new .com whilst maintaining the existing master view and the current .co.uk view. The reason for keeping the current .co.uk view is so that if the sites do merge onto the .com site we will have continuity of data with actions and other segments, events etc. 
  • When creating views I have heard that there can be issues with recording URL dependant goals. Is this the case and is there a solution to it? Could you not use regular expression with the full domain reference? 
  • Is there anything else that I should be weary of? 

Kind regards

Craig 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Craig - If you duplicate the .co.uk site and have the same site on a .com domain you may run into duplicate content penalties that will keep you out of search results on Google. Additionally, I would use two separate tracking codes for two websites. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Adam, I think my SEO counterpart raised that opinion and would definitely be a concern moving forward. This may be mitigated by the fact that on the .com site there would be a facet of the business that is essentially new to the business whilst the .co.uk variant would maintain the core business. It has been surmised that when the core business shows up on the .com site the .co.uk will become a non-entity, so hopefully that will be a way around that issue. I spoke to a Google Analytics representative and voiced the same to them (i was on the phone to them with another issue which may have to come here as it something the wont support at the free Analytics level) and they were of the opinion if what i have just written is the case then creating a new property under the same account for the new .com would be the best option. Is that what you were alluding to? 

Thanks,

Craig