Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking code missing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our blog is in a subdirectory of the main site. We were running along fine for months with tracking working just fine.

Abruptly, tracking stopped. There was no code in the Wordpress theme. When it was inserted, tracking began again.

Here's my question: How is it possible for the code to "disappear" from the theme backend? I am the only person using it, there were no theme updates, and no Wordpress updates.

I didn't set up the tracking myself, and the person who did it is no longer with the company.

I find it hard to believe it would mysteriously vanish on its own, so I'm wondering -- is there any way possible the previous person had tracking running without going through the Wordpress theme? Could it have been initiated on the main site itself, and that got dropped somehow on that end?

Or is the ONLY WAY to get Analytics running to go through the Wordpress theme? In which case, any guesses on how it would delete from the theme?

Thanks for any help -- I've only been with the company a short time and don't know all the details about how it was set up initially.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Tracking code missing

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kate,

It could be embedded in the theme or a plug in could have been used or called via an include.  There are many ways it could have happened.   At the end of the day the code needs to be there on each and every page.  Many people are moving to a Google Tag Manager implementation in order to iterate more quickly and use additional GA features.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn