Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking code has disappeared off multiple sites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I run Google Analytics on around 50 sites. I've noticed recently (in the last two months) that the code has disappeared off four of my sites. I do not receive any notification that this code is gone - I only realize it by a sudden and complete drop in traffic - like going from 100-300 visitors per day to absolutely none at all. I then go back into the code of the site and see that indeed the tracking code is gone. I have had to re-add the code three times to these four sites and each time it disappears after only a few days. I always put it on the default page of my site, and with many of my other properties in Google Analytics I've never had this problem.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Any ideas of what could be going wrong?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Courtney K

If your site is built with say WordPress (or something similar), then the tracking code may be getting overwritten and removed each time the CMS or theme files receive an update.

Are you able to possibly provide the url of one of the problematic sites?

Thnks

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for you reply!

I use Joomla! for CMS for all of the sites.

Here is a link to one of the sites:

http://www.ace-plumbing.ca/

It currently has the tag on it, but I've had to add it three times in the last month!

Thanks,

Courtney