Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking campaigns created with new URL Builder

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been using URL builder to track campaigns for quite a while now and have never had an issue. I am not sure if there was a change recently but, it seems around all the campaigns I generated since the newest URL builder site was released are not showing up in analytics. Am I being thick? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jay A
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Jay :-)
Previously utm_source, utm_medium and utm_campaign were required parameters for campaign tracking
and despite what the url builder indicates, for custom campaigns, the source, medium and campaign name are still required

For example, if a campaign name is not given via the url parameter.. how does analytics know that its a campaign or what the campaign name is? It doesnt.

From the help docs under the Parameters heading
When adding parameters to a URL, you should always use utm_source, utm_medium, and utm_campaign.
utm_term and utm_content are optional and can be used for tracking additional information

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863?hl=en

I would try adding the two other parameters as per usual. This should sort the issue.
If it doesnt resolve it, then try a # instead of a ? where the parameters are initially added
some sites do not recognize parameters after a ?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Are you able to provide an example of one of the URLs that arent working as expected

(the page being linked to with the generated url would be helpful)

thanks
Bronwyn

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having the same issue! Would love some help with this. We've never had issues before. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn, 

Thanks for you reply. Here is the link how I created it ```https://www.outdoorprolink.com/m-166-backcountry-access.aspx?utm_source=10-5-16_bca_email``` The site is password protected. I notice that GA only requires a URL and Source now as opposed to the older version where 4 fields were required. 

I am far from a fluent in analytics and use it simply to track some stats with banners and email campaigns that I run. I have always combined all the defining terms into one field as I would like to analyze the info in excel. 

Thanks Again,

Jay

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jay A
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Previously utm_source, utm_medium and utm_campaign were required parameters for campaign tracking
and despite what the url builder indicates, for custom campaigns, the source, medium and campaign name are still required

For example, if a campaign name is not given via the url parameter.. how does analytics know that its a campaign or what the campaign name is? It doesnt.

From the help docs under the Parameters heading
When adding parameters to a URL, you should always use utm_source, utm_medium, and utm_campaign.
utm_term and utm_content are optional and can be used for tracking additional information

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863?hl=en

I would try adding the two other parameters as per usual. This should sort the issue.
If it doesnt resolve it, then try a # instead of a ? where the parameters are initially added
some sites do not recognize parameters after a ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

I too am having troubles seeing campaigns created with new URL generator (https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/ )  I'm looking in the right place: Acquisition > Campaigns > All Campaigns.  Are you saying that even though the new URL generator only says it requires Website URL and Campaign source, you absolutely must enter content for Campaign Medium and Campaign Name?   Otherwise Google Analytics cannot find it?   Or, manually replacing ? with # fixes it?   Look forward to your response and help.  Jay - did this fix your issues?  Are you able to track now?   

Thank you.

Stacey

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you have any suggestions to offer when the Source, Medium and Campaign were indeed included in the URLs? I created multiple links pointing to one campaign name, and unfortunately, I'm not finding that campaign in GA. When I follow the link and review the Real-Time > Traffic Sources report, I see the appropriate source referral but no indication of the campaign either. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Stacey,

If you don't enter any data for Campaign Name, then in Analytics, for example at Accquisition>All Camapigns, you will not have any name for the campaign and it is hard to figure out who is who.

More details more specific tracking information.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Andrea,

Follow below path:

Accquisition>All Camapigns

Thanks