Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking across platforms on same domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi GA Experts,

I am working with a client that implemented 2 accounts on GA, 1 for their pre-sales and one for their commerce.  I want to make this one tracking UA and merged the accounts but now I get a -1 and -2 associated with the reporting.  

My pre-sales is wordpress and my commerce is Magento.  Any idea on what I need to do to only have 1 tracking account so I can see a true conversion?

Thanks to any that have experience they can share here.

Cheers,

Michelle

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michelle W
July 2016

Re: Tracking across platforms on same domain

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Michelle,

Make sure that you've set cookieDomain: auto, if you want to track users across sub-domains.

If the visitor first visits presales.abc.com, and then moves to commerce.abc.com, these two domains will have different _ga cookies, and thus different Client IDs, and thus the user will be a different user with a new session if you haven't configured cookieDomain properly.

All is well if you've copy-pasted your tracking code from the Property settings. You might see something like that in your source code: ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXXX-Y', 'auto');

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Michelle,

Can you explain how you did this "merge"? GA accounts cannot be merged - you could have one tracker for the two sites though, which in a way "merges" the data. It sounds like you created a new property (the -2). You might just need to make sure you have the SAME tracking code across ALL pages of both pre-sale and ecommerce sites.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It appears the technical person just associated the pre-sales account with the store. and then it started a -2. I think the tracking code was not touched and this is just done at the property setting level.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Michelle,

I'm not sure I follow your comment "the tracking code was not touched and this is just done at the property setting level". Could you please elaborate? I think you're just trying to make sure that the pre-sales pages tracks into the same GA property as the commerce pages, correct? In other words, you want both types of pages to track into the "-1" property.

I think all you need to do is to change the "-2" in your pre-sales tracking codes to a "-1".

Thanks for clarifying.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michelle W
July 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Michelle,

Make sure that you've set cookieDomain: auto, if you want to track users across sub-domains.

If the visitor first visits presales.abc.com, and then moves to commerce.abc.com, these two domains will have different _ga cookies, and thus different Client IDs, and thus the user will be a different user with a new session if you haven't configured cookieDomain properly.

All is well if you've copy-pasted your tracking code from the Property settings. You might see something like that in your source code: ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXXX-Y', 'auto');

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you - I think this will solve it - much appreciated!