Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking URL's from direct traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have three direct mail pieces going out, each has a specific URL so we can track them. Since it is mail they will type the URL in and it will come in as Direct traffic (I assume). How do I track each URL?

Thank you

Re: Tracking URL's from direct traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The only way to track direct mail is to put a specific URL on each piece that comes out that can be tracked, such as domain.com/promo and domain.com/sale . Not all will use the URL to get to the site, but it will let you track the relative effectiveness of each mail out.

Re: Tracking URL's from direct traffic

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Bethany,

Steve has the right idea here and I just wanted to add a few details. The most effective way to track your offline efforts is to send them to a unique URL (so a landing page that other traffic would not normally arrive on). Ideally, this page would have a noindex tag, to avoid having Organic traffic click through to it.

In GA you can see the incoming traffic to this URL by going to: Behavior > Site Content > Landing Pages and looking for the specific URL associated with your offline marketing. If you cannot create a 'new page' for your campaign, another option is to use the Compare To feature of the date selector to see traffic patterns during your campaign compared to a previous period.

Hope this helps!

-Grant