Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Traffic From Different Directory On Same Domain As Referral

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am helping implement Google Analytics for a number of websites that are set up as directories on the same domain. Each top-level directory is treated as a completely separate site and has it's own unique Google Analytics property.

The issue that I'm having is that If I am on www.domain.com/site-a/ and receive traffic from www.domain.com/site-b/, it is showing up as direct traffic. I'd instead like that traffic to show up as referral.

Through Google Tag Manager I've set the cookieDomain as www.domain.com for each site, and then the cookiePath as /site-a/ and /site-b/ for the respective sites.

Is my setup incorrect?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Traffic From Different Directory On Same Domain As Referr

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Kurt, how are things?

Have you set any Referral Exclusion in your accounts? Maybe the "site-b" have "site-a" as a excluded referral.

You can check that by following this steps:
- Click Admin in the menu bar at the top of any page.
- In the ACCOUNT column, use the dropdown to select the Analytics account that contains the property you want to work with.
- In the PROPERTY column, use the dropdown to select a property.
- Click Tracking Info.
- Click Referral Exclusion List.

Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Re: Tracking Traffic From Different Directory On Same Domain As Referr

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Leandro, thanks for the response. I meant to include that piece in my initial post — I don't have any sites included in the Referral Exclusion lists.

Kurt