AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Multiple Applications to one User

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On our site we currently have a way to count conversions of new users to where they apply into our website. We would like to be able to track that, and count more goals as things on our end change, such as when we officially enroll them or when they show up the first day. I believe I have a system in place for that, but I have run into the problem where one user may submit more than one application. We were just going to assign our application id to their user id, but if they submit more than one application that could cause an issue. Would I be able to assign an array of sorts to a custom dimension, and then query Google Analytics on that array? For example, a user signs up, we check to see if there is anything stored in this "applicationid" dimension and see nothing. We then save the first application ID to the dimension using maybe [apid#1] (I don't think GA supports arrays, but if I'm thinking if I populate the dimension like this, when I pull it in via JavaScript it would still work as an array?). They then apply another student, so I would query that dimension for that user, see that it does have a value, so I change that value from [appid#1] to [appid#1, appid#2]. If this is possible, would I then be able to at a later time when appid#1 or two is processed, query GA with a quasi-SQL like statement or filter to find "user where "applicationid" dimension has substring containing "appid#1" and get their info and submit a tracking event for them? Sorry if this is a little confusing, and if you need any clarity let me know. Thanks in advance.

Re: Tracking Multiple Applications to one User

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Doing it in GA via custom dimensions is a bit complicated.

I think it would make sense to send it to GA via the Measurement Protocol.

You could send a hit (with the CID and UID) and also include an event with the category of application and maybe an action of application 1 or 2 or 3 etc.
They way you could simply get the number of applications each user made, have the exact date and time in GA (from the MP hit) and all the other normal things GA measures.

Re: Tracking Multiple Applications to one User

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We unfortunately don't track the separate applications as one user though, so while on GA they are one person, they show up as 1, 2, or 3 multiple people for us, so I'm not sure if that would work on our end.