AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking ID Overwritten

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are grandfathered in using the Free Legacy Edition of google analytics.

I believe our tracking ID code was overwritten with a new tracking ID number. Does this mean we have lost all access to older data from the original Tracking ID? Is there a way to retrieve that data?

Also - when adding the new website, there was no place to choose what the default url was in the property section.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Tracking ID Overwritten

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, angel p,

Can you clarify what you mean by Free Legacy Edition of GA? I'm presuming you mean classic GA (ie. the version of GA before Universal Analytics), but just wanted to be sure.

Your tracking/property ID (ie. UA-XXXXXX-YY) should not have been overwritten for any reason, unless it was intentional by someone in your team or your devs. Google Analytics won't alter it for you. The only change that likely happened is to migrate you (in Google's backend servers, so you won't have really noticed anything in terms of your tracking) to Universal Analytics - again, your property ID would not have changed. If your property ID did change, your historical data will not have been migrated over. You should still be able to access your historical data with the same credentials used for your original property, and unless you "Trash" the property, the data should still be available.

Your default URL should be in the property settings, and you would required at least EDIT rights at the Property level to change it.

Hope this helps!

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn