Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking From Domain to Sub-domain (self-referrals)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site is comprised of a top-level domain and multiple sub-domains. THey are managed by different teams so it can be hard to keep things in sync.

On the top level domain, we implemented GA via GTM using universal analytics. We haven't gotten so far on the sub-domains yet and they are still using the classic API. How do I eliminate the self-referrers I'm seeing?  

An example of this would be domain.com linking to sub.domain.com.

On domain.com,the tracking cookie is set to domain .domain.com, the referral exclusion list contains both domain.com and sub.domain.com. We're also using universal analytics.

On sub.domain.com, we're using the classic snippet, the tracking cookie is set to .domain.com. 

In both cases, we're using the same UA number? Anyway to track across the domain and sub-domain when using different analytics snippets?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking From Domain to Sub-domain (self-referrals)

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hello Adrian,

Do you have a lot of self refferals?
If you have small number of self refferals it's natural due to session time out.

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’