AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Code Mismatch

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Last year we migrated a site from Joomla to Wordpress - in a clean install of Wordpress & redesigned it. It is in the same account as the old Joomla version - they are both addon sites.

I've noticed a drastic drop in traffic and received the following Tracking Mismatch error or warning which was first picked up in April. The Yoast SEO, now MonsterInsights SEO, was used to authenticate.  It's been using the 730xxxxx-1 code.  When I navigate to the site using Chrome's Tag Assistant Recordings what is seen is this code, not the one starting with 202.

The default URL https://mysite.com/, for property UA-202xxxxx-1 has no tracking code for this property, although it does have tracking codes for other properties:

• UA-730xxxxx-1

.....skip irrelevant part

Either update the tracking code to use the Tracking ID for property https://mysite.com/, or open the Property Settings to update the Default URL for property https://mysite.com/ to be https://mysite.com/.

Yes, all websites in the quote are identical.

So, my understanding is the code starting with 202 is the code from the older Joomla version and the newer 730... code is the current one.  The 730...one is not in my G. Analytics account and I did not set it up unless this happened when I authenticated it as described above.

Two questions:

1. Is my understanding or this basically correct?

2. What is the best way to get current? 

Thank you,

Scott

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Code Mismatch

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Scott,

In order to fix the issue you need to make sure that your site is using the UA-202xxxxx-1. You need to re-authenticate using the account which has access to UA-202xxxxx-1 and choose that property as the analytics profile. Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Arnold M.,

I redid the authentication in MonsterInsights SEO using UA-202xxxxx-1. It took, so UA-202xxxxx-1, though it may have been used on the old version of the site, is still present in the site.

I ran a recording of the site using the Chrome Tag Assistant which showed the UA-202xxxxx-1 ID only.

I also ran the "Send test Traffic' test in the tracking code area of the property setting. It was successful:
"Analytics sends a hit to your website by opening the URL you specified in your property settings. If you implemented the tracking code properly, then the active-user count will be updated." The live view showed me, as analytics test referral, using it.

Still, the tracking code mismatch is unchanged. It is identical to the one cited above.

Also, the data continues to show a large drop in visits beginning last fall (from 1,500 the month before to 45 the month after).

What am I missing?

Scott

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Scott,

If Tag Assistant shows no errors now, your tracking setup should be fine. There is a delay in GA, you should see data flowing in soon. In GA where the tracking mismatch error is displayed please click the "Check again" link, GA will check if everything is in order and the error won't come back. Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Arnold,

It didn't occur to me to 'check again.' I've done that. It does indicate it may be verified within 24 hours.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Analytics reports it is resolved. Confirmed by the live view and Chrome's Tag Assistant.

Thank you, Arnold, for straighten me out on this!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Arnold!