AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking 5-8 different user types with Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've got a site with 5 to 8 types of users: example : developer, Manager etc. What we are looking for is a method to track all types of users (new and repeated) within just one Google Analytics profile. Could this be possible within just one profile? Could there be a way to show custom reports in the Analytics to show all user's Acquisition and Behavior, I know Analytics is such a powerful application, but I'm no guru and I couldn't find anything on Google. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mohammad M
April 2016

Re: Tracking 5-8 different user types with Google Analytics?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Mohammed

Are you saving the user types in a CRM system when users registers?
If you do, then when users log in / register you can pull this information from the CRM and set the value in setCustomVar variable with visitor level parameter in the code and fire the code the below for example -

_gaq.push(['_setCustomVar',
'Member Type',
'Premium',
]);

However, you'll need your dev team's help to pull the user type information from the CRM system or where this user type information is held.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi ,
I don't track there is a way to track the user types that you have mentioned e.g developer, manager. Yes GA does track new and returning visitor and it is possible within just one profile.

GA doesn't collect users personal data .

Get started with Analytics@ https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008015?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i am not asking about personal details ..for example : lets take File host site they usually have 3-4 types of user.
1. Free
2.Basics
3.Premium

So i want to track these .. not their email ID or addresses or Name...
Well still thanks for your help.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lets make it more simple...On our User registration page we are having an dropdown option "User type" where one can select their type as developer or tester etc..and complete the registration page...so now i want track their behavior and Acquisition...

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can use GA visitor / session-based custom variable to track behaviours of different user types. You can find about the syntax in the below link -

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingCustomVariables#overview

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks and I have gone through all these theories ...As I am not in coding ..So anybody can say how,where and what to put in the code...It will be very helpful ...Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mohammad M
April 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Mohammed

Are you saving the user types in a CRM system when users registers?
If you do, then when users log in / register you can pull this information from the CRM and set the value in setCustomVar variable with visitor level parameter in the code and fire the code the below for example -

_gaq.push(['_setCustomVar',
'Member Type',
'Premium',
]);

However, you'll need your dev team's help to pull the user type information from the CRM system or where this user type information is held.