Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Track wildcard subdomains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a replicated site that uses wildcard subdomains.  I want to be able to track a site visitor from landing to exiting.

My domain is set up such as example.example.com, or it could dynamically be example1.example.com.  All pages on example.com are the same, only the subdomain changes.

I use templates to deliver the content and it's not practical to add each individual subdomain that could occur on my site.

I'm using Universal Tracking Code and have the following in place:

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXXX-1', 'auto');
ga('send', 'pageview');

From what I understand this should track all of my traffic, and it's working, BUT I need to see the traffic to the actual entry & exit pages from the subdomains.

So, if someone goes to example.example.com, or example1.example.com my analytics reports will show entry pages as:

example.example.com

example1.example.com

etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kindest 

Pattie

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pattie A
March 2016

Re: Track wildcard subdomains

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Pattie,

I hope I understood the question correctly - the outcome you describe can be achieved if you apply a view filter which does the following: add the hostname to request URI (page dimension) field so your end result will not be '/' but the pages report will show 'example.example.com/'.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pattie A
March 2016

Re: Track wildcard subdomains

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Pattie,

I hope I understood the question correctly - the outcome you describe can be achieved if you apply a view filter which does the following: add the hostname to request URI (page dimension) field so your end result will not be '/' but the pages report will show 'example.example.com/'.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net