AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Track our .org domain to our .com main domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.... we are wanting to track the performance of some posters we have created to be displayed at bus stations.  We thought if we use our .org url that goes to our .com url on the posters, that we could then see how many hits to the .com came from the .org.

I set up a GA property for the .org and found this code that I added to the header of our .com site. ( I removed our actual ID for this post)

<!--Universal Analytics tracking script 3-4-16-->
 <script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-our.com site id', 'auto');
  ga('create', 'UA-our.org site id', 'auto', {name: 'fulltracker'});
  ga('require', 'displayfeatures');
  ga('send', 'pageview');
  ga('fulltracker.send', 'pageview');

</script>

Can you help me get this to work?  How long does it take to start seeing data?

Thank you so much for your expert help on this.....'

Diana

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Track our .org domain to our .com main domain

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You could make the implementation more simple by defining redirect from your org to com to include campaign parameters:
example.org -> redirect -> example.com?utm_source=posters&utm_medium=outdoor-ads&utm_campaign=busstop-posters-03-2016

And if you want to track different posters individually you would just go:
example.org/poster1 -> redirect -> example.com?utm_source=posters&utm_medium=outdoor-ads&utm_campaign=busstop-posters-03-2016&utm_content=poster1

And this way you could tell which poster activated most people.

utm-parameter values you can define yourself in the way they make sense to you. Traffic would be under Aquisition -> Campaigns report
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh goodness............I have know idea how to do this.
Where do I start?

Diana

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Antti,

Ok so I added standupgirl.org to redirect to: http://standupgirl.com?utm_source=posters&utm_medium=outdoor-ads&utm_campaign=busstop-posters-03-201...

But I would like to track the posters that will be inside the buses too. I am not sure how to add the standupgirl.org/posters1 part to the domain name and then add the redirect of:
standupgirl.org/posters1 -> redirect -> standupgirl.com?utm_source=posters&utm_medium=outdoor-ads&utm_campaign=busstop-posters-03-2016&utm_content=posters1

Is there anything else I have to add to the tracking code too?

Kindest Regards,
Diana

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You could think that as different source so utm_source=in-bus-posters
Always plan the naming before hand and preferably create naming convention that applies all your advertising in similar manner. This way you most likely won't need separate excel to remember which campaign was what...

Medium is the one that connects all the campaigns and sources
Campaign is the one connecting all the ads
Same campaign can ads from different channels and different sources

Here is a handy tool for URL creation to make sure that your tracking URL is ok:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

If you have a lot of ads you should take a look numerous solutions to make these URLs quickly in spreadsheet
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Antti,

Here is what I had created using the url tool 2 days ago.
http://standupgirl.com/?utm_source=standupgirlorg&utm_medium=busads&utm_campaign=busposters

I added this to the redirect on standugirl.org and have inputted http://standupgirl.org in different browsers and devices numerous times, but nothing ever shows up in Acquisition>Campaigns>All campaigns.

I don't understand why it doesn't work but maybe it is the time issue? The redirect is so fast that maybe GA can't capture the hit?

Or is it better to redirect to a particular page other than the homepage?

I really really appreciate you help Antti!

Thank you!
Diana

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi,

utm parameters should be visible on the first page on your actual site after the redirect because without those parameters nothing gets recorded.
Please check that the redirect preserves query string (the settings vary depending how and with what you do the redirects )

If you have some particular message on your ads you might have better response from the visitors if the message/story continues when they open your site with that URL mentioned in the ad. Most of the time home page is to broad and people have to search what they were advertised.
Place yourself in their shoes (keyboards) look at the ad and then open your site: Is it consistent? If you asked a question in the ad, do you offer the answer?
--