AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Time Tracking issue if GDPR compliant?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With GDPR in Europe many websites changed settings regarding conditions where google analytics starts to track data of the website. This is what I've see in several website:

• if the user accepts the cookie policy OR scrolls on page, google analytics starts to track all the data (without auto-refresh of the page).

without acceptance of consent (cookie policy) OR scroll, google analytics tag is not loaded in the page and data are not tracked.

In a situation like this, my opinion is that the time tracking (load page time, time to click, ...) is not detect correclty.

In other websites I've seen that when the users scrolls or accepts the cookie policy, there's the auto-refresh of the page and tag of google analytics is loaded in the page after the auto-refresh event and this for sure it permits to google anlaytics to track correctly time KPIs.

What's your opinion?

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi !

I've made a GDPR solution (100% GTM). What I do is that before or without consent, I fire a Google Analytics without advertising features and with IP anonymized. Then if/when I have the consent, I fire another Google Analytics tag (an event for the consent). For this second tag the advertising feature is activated.

This way, no problem with the time tracking. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When the user is tracked by the your first analytics tag (without advertising features), a new cookie is generated?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

When the user lands on the website, on cookie is set : _gat_UA-XXXXXX-X. (force SSL, IP anonymization, no advertising features, limited goal tracking => no goal which allow me to identify a person with the help of another system, like form tracking)

Then when the user gives consent, another cookie is set : _dc_gtm_UA-XXXXXX-X (dc for doubleclick => advertising features, full goals tracking, no IP anonymization anymore)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

clear Bruno but also without advertising features, it's always a 3rd party cookie and I want be sure that this is admitted by GDPR regulamentation. Do you have link regarding official gdpr documentation where there's mention about "tollerated" solutions like your?

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Nope, It's not clearly written anywhere. 

I've validated my solution y a specialized lawyer in my country (Switzerland). But I can't advise you to do the same without validating with a lawyer in yours.