Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Thoughts on Event Tracking on Redirects

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, GA Community!

What are your thoughts on event tracking on a redirecting page? I am a code novice and was wondering if it would be wiser to just simply put the regular tracking code on the redirecting page and the page it redirects to.

For example, a client mails out postcards that have xyz.com/welcome and the recipient types this into their browser which then redirects them to xyz.com/welcome/abc. Should the same regular tracking code be placed on both pages? Or should there be a special event tracking on the initial redirecting page?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott B
December 2015

Re: Thoughts on Event Tracking on Redirects

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Scott,

It is never a good idea to put tracking code on redirected pages as most of the time the time to trigger can get very tricky. You only need to place the code on the final page (if it makes sense). I think you can still use image tracking to do this https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/conversion-tracking-with-no... although I have heard that this is becoming obsolete.

One option I use: How about tagging the end of your URL to help with the tracking : xyz.com/welcome/abc?=awesomepostcards then simply add page visits to "awesomepostcardspostcards" as your conversion. Just make sure that the tag you use is not already an existing page name or part of an existing URL.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks, Bryan!

My client uses another platform for some metric tracking with this marketing campaign. It's a string of random numbers that are automatically generated for each campaign. So do you think I can just use that unique number set and segment that out to find the user count?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Absolutely Smiley Happy It makes for easy sorting... Although I think random numbers are a little hard to sort. I usually use descriptive names that help me locate and identify.