AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tagging certain sessions via Tag Manager

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to mark certain sessions for segmentation purposes. Looking for a solution, I came across Custom Dimensions. 

Here is what I did:

1. Created a Custom Dimension (index 1) in the Google Analytics Property and gave it the session scope.

2. In Google Tag Manager I added to the Google Analytics Tag a custom dimension with index "1" and a test string as value. So for now _all_ sessions should be tagged with this value.

In Google Analytics however I see no corresponding date (looking under "Audience / Custom / Custom Variables")

Can anybody help me out? Eventually I will only want to mark certain sessions, but for now I am trying to just get to work Custom Variables (dimensions). I don't really understand the difference between Custom Variables and dimensions it appears.

Greets

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Simon B
January 2016

Re: Tagging certain sessions via Tag Manager

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Custom dimensions can be added as secondary dimension in a standard report.

OR

Can be used to apply segmentation.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Simon B
January 2016

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Custom dimensions can be added as secondary dimension in a standard report.

OR

Can be used to apply segmentation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So your answer tells me that I am using Custom Dimensions correctly - thanks!

... now I tried around a lot and got everything going the way I wanted...

I got confused due to the fact that the standard GA report "Audience / Custom / Custom Variables" seems to only show Dimensions when they are declared on a user scope.

However, I managed to segment different sessions in a custom report, using the Custom Dimension as a dimension.

Thank you!