AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tag like Categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I work for an e-commerce site and we have a lot of products that can fit into multiple categories that are important to us. The hierarchical category system that Google Analytics provides doesn't quite fit our needs.

What we need is a system where we can add multiple category tags to a product and then segment the data in the product report accordingly.

It's also important that this is done on the product level (and not session or user level).

I'd very much appreciate any ideas you guys may have.

Thanks!

Re: Tag like Categories

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
H Yaakov,
you could add a custom dimensions at product level with the different category.
So you can segment product on the different category.
you could think that the dimension is a single one so you can do a segment that search that content.
This second solution is not very clean!
Fil

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the idea, I have thought of doing something similar but as you mention it is not very clean. I am still curious to know if there might be a 'cleaner' solution.
Thanks.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
You can use data import to import product level data:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3191589?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm less concerned with how to get the data and more concerned about how to implement and use the data. I am looking for a solution to a category by tag based system (where I can tag an item with multiple category labels), it doesn't seem to be well supported by google and I want to know if anyone might have an innovative solution to suggest).
But thanks you very much for your response!