AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Switching Old GA-ID for New GA-ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I seem to have some tracking issues, and i'm wondering why i'm still receiving hits  on my old analytics ID when i've replaced  my ID for a new one?

My website uses Shopify and I believe it may have been from my Shopify Facebook Store Widget that had my old GA-ID in it, which has now been replaced. However, I am still receiving hits on this ID from Google/ Organic.

What should I do?

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 3.31.43 PM.png

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author eric g
October 2016

Re: Switching Old GA-ID for New GA-ID

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Eric,

You are receiving referral spam. Spammers are sending data to Google Analytics directly using the measurement protocol and they can fake every parameter in the payload. Please check out this article:
https://www.optimizesmart.com/what-i-learned-from-trying-to-fix-the-ghost-referrer-spam-in-google-an...
Hope it helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eric :-)
From the looks of that screenshot, there are issues there with spam data.
These are hits that are being sent to your GA Property via measurement protocol, in most instances they are not visiting your actual website.
- hence why the old analytics ID can still receive hits even if its not installed on a site.

What you need to do is ensure that the new tracking id is installed correctly and then create a new View for the new Property id and apply a hostname filter so as to only include hits for the valid hostname(s) and any applicable filters to remove spam referral data
I would suggest checking out and using the following free service, they update the filters on a regular basis
https://referrerspamblocker.com/

Thanks
Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author eric g
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Eric,

You are receiving referral spam. Spammers are sending data to Google Analytics directly using the measurement protocol and they can fake every parameter in the payload. Please check out this article:
https://www.optimizesmart.com/what-i-learned-from-trying-to-fix-the-ghost-referrer-spam-in-google-an...
Hope it helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital