AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Swift from current Google Analytics to Google Tag manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi GA Experts,

May I know any risk that I swift my current tracking from GA (events) to fully GTM? 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shyen,

While migrating your site to GTM you have to careful about code conflicts that might stop data collection or your setup can cease altogether. here is a best article you can follow for a safe GTM migration. If you have any other questions please let us know. 

regards

Noman 

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. Please refrain from using self-promotional signatures on the community. Signatures are a perk reserved for members of the Top Contributor/Rising Star programs.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

One additional suggestion, if you do not have a stage site you can add GTM to your site and implement GA tracking (via GTM) BUT send data to a test GA property i.e. the UA- id is not the same as your live tracking. You can then compare basic trends e.g. session, user numbers with your live account as well as testing events without polluting your live tracking.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

Any good practice you can suggest than I should follow?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

The link which was provided earlier by @Noman K had a lot of good stuff. 

Key thing to remember that any modifications of your current (old) code will cease to work when you migrate to GTM - make sure you know what you have on the site (e.g. events, custom dimensions, ecommerce) and have a place to get these values into the datalayer.

Couple of points from my own experience:

- Test as much as you can. Have the GTM container on the site and run a parallel GA property. 

- If you've got things like ecommerce, lots of events etc don't try to do everything at once; pick the things which are most important for your organisation and work on those first.

- Consider using auditing software like screaming frog to check a. that all your pages have the current GA code and b. that your GTM code is on all pages. An issue I've seen before is that the migration results in a change in the GA numbers - this can be a result of faults in the GTM implementation but also issues with the original implementation which GTM solves.

- read Simo Ahova's blog

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.