Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Subdomain tracking in Universal Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

we have a subdomain on which the GTM tracking code was newly added. The Google Tag Manager gets properly fired, the UA along with it as it should. However, we do not see the hits into the Analytics tool for this specific subdomain.

We want to have all the data within one property. The subdomain has been excluded as a referrer via the admin page. Should I take the referral rule out? If not what can be the reason?

I read that it would be best to have one property per subdomain but that there are other solutions too- which we have, as far as I know, followed. How can we fix it?

Thanks,

Pauline.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pauline V
July 2016

Re: Subdomain tracking in Universal Analytics

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Pauline,

You should have cohesive tracking in ONE property for the users entire journey. Typically with sub-domains the users can sometime traverse between other sub-domains and the top level domain.

With GTM you should have the same container throughout the site, configure your pageview tag to fire on all pages and there are no other settings you need to do; including referral exclusion. Referral exclusion simply makes the referral become "direct" traffic.

Once you have this, unless you've applied filters to change default behavior, your sub-domains aren't readily apparent and should not normally show in your acquisition reports (you don't want them here).

You can go to Audience>>Technology>>Network and change your primary dimension to hostname to see your subdomain traffic, or pull this in as a secondary dimension in your conetent reports, or use include filters in new views configured for your sub-domains.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pauline V
July 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Pauline,

You should have cohesive tracking in ONE property for the users entire journey. Typically with sub-domains the users can sometime traverse between other sub-domains and the top level domain.

With GTM you should have the same container throughout the site, configure your pageview tag to fire on all pages and there are no other settings you need to do; including referral exclusion. Referral exclusion simply makes the referral become "direct" traffic.

Once you have this, unless you've applied filters to change default behavior, your sub-domains aren't readily apparent and should not normally show in your acquisition reports (you don't want them here).

You can go to Audience>>Technology>>Network and change your primary dimension to hostname to see your subdomain traffic, or pull this in as a secondary dimension in your conetent reports, or use include filters in new views configured for your sub-domains.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theo, that helps a great deal!