Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Subdomain tracking - 70% of traffic coming in as direct

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a client at the moment who are running a subdomain site, and only have access to said subdomain, i.e. they don’t have access to the main domain and tracking features to enable them to set up cross domain tracking etc..

We have implemented Universal Analytics on the subdomain, but around 70% of the traffic is coming in via direct – which we know to be false as they have been sharing some stats that they are getting from their tracking.

Is there a way to increase the accuracy of the tracking we have live?

As a side note, we have implemented standard tracking, the core domain is set as a referral exclusion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, @Claire B.

Could you please share your cookie domain and referral exclusions settings? This will help to address your issue. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for coming back to me. The referral exclusions are set as domain.com our site is domain.com/sitea

in terms of cookie domain, we havent set anything explicitly, the code we have implemented is below:

ga('create', 'UA-xxxxxxxx-1', 'auto');
  ga('require', 'linkid', 'linkid.js');
  ga('require', 'displayfeatures');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

In this case, referral exclusion causes traffic from site domain.com to be attributed as direct. 

I suppose that you need to set a separate cookie based on your sub-directory and remove your referral exclusion to track visitors from your main site.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6205202?hl=en#subDirectoriesShareCookies