AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Subdomain Referrals - Not excluding Domain & Multiple testing enviornment issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

So I placed this in spam referrals originally and I am still having issues. We have a subdomain jira.site.com and referrals are still showing from internal users following links in documentation found on jira.site.com to the main website site.com.

How can I stop all referral traffic for every subdomain? Do I want to just set site.com in the referral exclusion list however I was told this would result in ghost page views as a filter was set to exclude jira.site.com already resulting in the referral still being tracked. I was informed that

"the referral exclusion list is not to be used to exclude traffic; it is supposed to prevent visits to your site that go to a payment gateway and return to your site from being interpreted as 2 separate visits"

I'm just really confused at this point.

Our devs also will not disable GA on any of our testing environments because how it impacts their development life cycle how can I exclude all tracking that isn't on our primary domain from GA?

The response I received in referral spam for reference.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Referral-Spam-Traffic/Exclusion-Referral-List-and-Filter-n...

Re: Subdomain Referrals - Not excluding Domain & Multiple testing enviornment issues

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You need to configure view filter to do so. 

filter.png

Re: Subdomain Referrals - Not excluding Domain & Multiple testing enviornment issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Thomas thanks for your response!

Your suggestion will clear our issue up with the multiple domains but who does this clear up the referrals from our own subdomains?