AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Starting Google Experiments on button click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

So what I am trying to do is implement a Google Experiment which only runs when a button on the webpage is clicked. For example, if I have www.test/home.html as my original page and www.test/home/2.html as my variant page, I only want to trigger this experiment through the click of a button. If the user directly accesses the www.test/home.html link then they will be brought to this page and not trigger the experiment.

I was wondering if this was possible and if so, would you be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Starting Google Experiments on button click

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Gareth,

This may be a little past what content experiments does well and might be a case for Optimize or Optimizely.

That said, if the user clicks the button then take them to a unique URL (use canonical tags or noindex) like/home3.html and use that as your test target. That could be a duplicate of your other page (but only accessible via the button click) and then have that be your experiment audience (1/2 would see this duplicate and half would see the variant - if you had 100 audience).

If you need anything other than that, use one of the other tools.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn