Analytics
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Source/Medium Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am tracking conversions across subdomains and multiple analytics profiles and can not seem to find any information on the expected behavior regarding source/medium when changing between subdomains and profiles.  

The rollup profile shows that a visitor who followed a link from google to a.example.com and proceeded to visit b.example.com has a source/medium of google/organic for all of their pageviews. I believe this is expected. In the subdomain profiles however (one for a.example.com and one for b.example.com) that same visitor from google has a source/medium of google/organic in the profile for a.example.com and a source/medium of (direct)/(none) in the profile for b.example.com.  Is this expected behavior?  and if so is there any documentation on it?

Thank you   

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rebecca W
April 2016

Re: Source/Medium Issues

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Since the visit to b.example.com is the first hit of the session seen in the b subdomain profile, it would inherit the source medium of that click. It would normally display a.example.com as the source, but you probably have a.example.com and b.example.com in the Referral Exclusion List at the property level, so those referrals will be swapped to Direct. This is expected behaviour.

I am not sure if you would find documentation about that specific scenario.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rebecca W
April 2016

Re: Source/Medium Issues

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Since the visit to b.example.com is the first hit of the session seen in the b subdomain profile, it would inherit the source medium of that click. It would normally display a.example.com as the source, but you probably have a.example.com and b.example.com in the Referral Exclusion List at the property level, so those referrals will be swapped to Direct. This is expected behaviour.

I am not sure if you would find documentation about that specific scenario.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Source/Medium Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I'm having an issue where some Source mediums are tracking, and others are not. 

I know in situations where it's direct it says direct, and in other instances it shows where the traffic is coming from; however, I have a handful that don't have anything.  Why would this occur? 

Source/Medium Issues

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

What do you mean by "don't have anything"?  Empty / blank?  I have seen that at times - looks like a reporting glitch that I hope they fix soon.