AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Some confusions related to Enhanced ecommerce and Cross-domain tracking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have some confusions related to enhanced e-commerce and cross Domain tracking. Can someone help me with this?

1. I have implemented GA on the website through GTM. Do I have to create events in GTM for checkout steps like Billing address, payment details etc. on GTM or it will automatically send to GA if I implement Enhanced e-commerce codes on the thank you page suggested by GTM guide for Enhanced e-commerce?

2. What's the difference between Including a domain through referral exclusion list and through the use of a filter in cross-domain tracking? Is there any difference if I do it through a filter? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Think B
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Think B, 

Can you reword question #1? 

Regarding question #2 I would recommend that you use a referral exclusion instead of a filter because you're trying to prevent PayPal or any other 3rd party payment processor from triggering a new session and thus messing with your funnel and attribution data. You don't want to block the traffic altogether. 

Although please note that a referral exclusion is on the Property Level and not on the View level so it will apply to all views. 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Think B, 

#1 Much of Enhanced e-commerce includes event tracking in its hits and measurements. Check out this documentation article for examples: 
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce 
You'll see many examples where added to cart or internal promotion are included as events. 

#2 Universal Analytics now automatically includes cross-domain tracking and will not create a new session or count it as a referral if it comes from a domain that is included in cross-domain tracking. As Google says

"When you initially set up your Analytics property, your domain is automatically added to the referral exclusion list. As a result, you shouldn't see self-referrals if you have a web property that tracks multiple subdomains." Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en 

What you should use referral exclusion for is if you're using a Third-party payment processor. 

Let me know if this answers your questions! 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joshua, thank you so much for replying. I have 2 further questions.

1. As the Enhanced e-commerce already includes events, Do this mean I only need to label the checkout processes in GA after implementing the GA Enhanced e-commerce codes on the thank you page?

2. Yes, we are using a third party payment system, So can we use filters instead of referral exclusion list? Is there will be any problem if we use a filter?

With Regards,

Bhola

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Think B
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Think B, 

Can you reword question #1? 

Regarding question #2 I would recommend that you use a referral exclusion instead of a filter because you're trying to prevent PayPal or any other 3rd party payment processor from triggering a new session and thus messing with your funnel and attribution data. You don't want to block the traffic altogether. 

Although please note that a referral exclusion is on the Property Level and not on the View level so it will apply to all views. 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many many thanks, Joshua for helping me out. Hope you have a great day and Merry Christmas Smiley Happy