Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Some confusions related to Enhanced ecommerce and Cross-domain tracking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have some confusions related to enhanced e-commerce and cross Domain tracking. Can someone help me with this?

1. I have implemented GA on the website through GTM. Do I have to create events in GTM for checkout steps like Billing address, payment details etc. on GTM or it will automatically send to GA if I implement Enhanced e-commerce codes on the thank you page suggested by GTM guide for Enhanced e-commerce?

2. What's the difference between Including a domain through referral exclusion list and through the use of a filter in cross-domain tracking? Is there any difference if I do it through a filter? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Think B
December 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Think B, 

Can you reword question #1? 

Regarding question #2 I would recommend that you use a referral exclusion instead of a filter because you're trying to prevent PayPal or any other 3rd party payment processor from triggering a new session and thus messing with your funnel and attribution data. You don't want to block the traffic altogether. 

Although please note that a referral exclusion is on the Property Level and not on the View level so it will apply to all views. 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Think B, 

#1 Much of Enhanced e-commerce includes event tracking in its hits and measurements. Check out this documentation article for examples: 
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce 
You'll see many examples where added to cart or internal promotion are included as events. 

#2 Universal Analytics now automatically includes cross-domain tracking and will not create a new session or count it as a referral if it comes from a domain that is included in cross-domain tracking. As Google says

"When you initially set up your Analytics property, your domain is automatically added to the referral exclusion list. As a result, you shouldn't see self-referrals if you have a web property that tracks multiple subdomains." Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en 

What you should use referral exclusion for is if you're using a Third-party payment processor. 

Let me know if this answers your questions! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joshua, thank you so much for replying. I have 2 further questions.

1. As the Enhanced e-commerce already includes events, Do this mean I only need to label the checkout processes in GA after implementing the GA Enhanced e-commerce codes on the thank you page?

2. Yes, we are using a third party payment system, So can we use filters instead of referral exclusion list? Is there will be any problem if we use a filter?

With Regards,

Bhola

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Think B
December 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Think B, 

Can you reword question #1? 

Regarding question #2 I would recommend that you use a referral exclusion instead of a filter because you're trying to prevent PayPal or any other 3rd party payment processor from triggering a new session and thus messing with your funnel and attribution data. You don't want to block the traffic altogether. 

Although please note that a referral exclusion is on the Property Level and not on the View level so it will apply to all views. 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many many thanks, Joshua for helping me out. Hope you have a great day and Merry Christmas Smiley Happy