Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Social Landing Pages shared URLs are wonky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm viewing a client's Social Landing Pages report, and the shared URLs are showing up as:

1. clientsite.comclientsite.com/category/topic/article-name-here

2. clientsite.comclientsite.com/category/anothertopic/article2-name/her

3. www.youtube.comwwwyoutube.com/video-title/video-number/

...and so on.

They use a third-party vendor for the ticketing part of their business. Even the vendor's landing pages for their events are showing up in this section as:

4. ticketvendor.comticketvendor.com/event-place/event-date/

So basically every referral source's URL is showing up twice, then the URI, in the shared URL list. I can't find anything in their configurations that would indicate what is causing it, so is it something in the code?? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly H
March 2016

Re: Social Landing Pages shared URLs are wonky

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You could possibly sort it out with a cascading filter, but its going to be a pretty messy way of going around it, and it would also require a lot of testing.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Are there any filters applied to the View?
Also has a Default Page been added in the View Setting page (directly after the timezone setting option)

Thanks
Bronwyn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

With the exception of this Subdomain view filter:

subdomain view filter.JPG

the only filters in this view are for office/internal IPs, etc.

But the Default Page has not been set in the View Settings page. Is that what's causing it? If so, why would it also cause the external URLs to duplicate? I've looked at other clients' reports and they don't have a default page, yet their reports aren't duplicating the URLs.

Thanks,

Kelly

P.S. Thanks for responding so quickly!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I did misread your original q hence my question about the default page setting.
I'm sorry about that.

Are any plugins being used in regards to social sharing that may be prepending the urls?

In the Property column at the very bottom under SocIal Sharing, is there anything entered into
that setting?

eta - Also was the initial View left without any filters applied to is, as per 'best practices'?

if so, do the social urls appear the same in the unfiltered View?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm actually a subcontractor for this audit, so I don't have access to the client's backend stuff to know exactly what plugins they are using.

They do have a number of social sites listed in Social Settings (but not their primary domain, per the instructions).

Checked their unfiltered view, and you are correct, that one does not have the double domains listed in social landing pages.

I've done some more investigating since my initial post here, and the few places in which people asked about the same situation, it always comes back to that same subdomain filter causing it. No one has posted a solution, however.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly H
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You could possibly sort it out with a cascading filter, but its going to be a pretty messy way of going around it, and it would also require a lot of testing.