Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Site search with events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I know you can configure site search based on query parameters. However, I was unable to find a solution for tracking site search based on events.

What if I have some AJAX-generated search results, which I would like to sent with a "Succesful search"-event.

How should I then do this? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Site search with events

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

It's difficult to be more specific since there is no much information in your post, however, in theory, if you can identify site search results in the code you should be able to fire an event and push the necessary info into it. You may need a developer to make it happen, but it should be feasible.

Site search with events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I know exactly how to sent data to Google Analytics. I do however want to use the build in site search analytics functionality.

In the options of your view, you can choose which query parameters should fill the site search data. Also, in filters you can add data from for example custom dimensions to the site search.

However, I do not see a slot in the measurement protocol which allows me to sent data for the site search through an event. I can only do it, as far as I know, with the URL.

Site search with events

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

"I can only do it, as far as I know, with the URL."

That is correct. GA doesn't support otherwise.

Site search with events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. A pity though.