AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Site search and site search plug-ins

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Guys,

I'd like to add a search box to my wordpress website.

Do you know once I do that if I can activate site search so I can track the search terms people are using, and if so how I can set that up.

i want to capture all search queries and looking at some of the google documentation it looks like the search parameters need to follow a certain format. I'd like to track all and any search terms? Perhaps someone can guide me please?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John-Paul,

Usually, when you use search it adds parameters to the URL. 

https://highedwebtech.com/2013/11/24/wordpress-google-analytics/

This guide might be out of date, however it will give you some context to your question. Also, this is a common question Google will have your answer.

Thanks,

Adam

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi John,

You just need to enable Site search tracking and enter the URL query parameter that you have for the search term.

You can find the search site tracking through "view settings -> Site search Tracking section"

Query parameter looks like this "www.something.com/?s=blabla".  's' here is your search term.

Alternatively, you can implement an GA event that fires after each user search.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I'm a bit confused by the url part. What has that got to do with it and why is it necessary? (Please bear with me).

John-Paul

Re: Site search and site search plug-ins

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

When user performs an onsite search, the search result page URL contains the search term("blabla") that is assigned to a query parameter(search parameter can be anything but developers use 's', 'search', 'q', 'query' etc, conventionally). Of course, this depends on the implementation of the search feature itself and it does not necessarily have to have a query parameter.

Let's say user searched "blabla" and your query parameter is "s". Then url on the search result page looks something like this: "www.somehting.com/?s=blabla"

When you enable search tracking and specify the search query parameter that you use on your website, Google Analytics can recognize the user's onsite search

Screenshot_2.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Great, thank you very much for the further explanation. Have now implemented it! =)

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You'r welcome!