Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Site changing from subdirectories to subdomains (including redirection). Not sure how to implement.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm putting a new site live shortly and am finding conflicting resources for the proper GA implementation. 

The domain has been in existence for many years without GA implemented. Let's call it: www.example.com

A section of that site is being mostly redone: www.example.com/sub_directory and will become sub_domain.example.com with all traffic from www.example.com/sub_directory redirected to sub_domain.example.com

Eventually, when other sections of the domain are revamped, I will need analytics for those too (inlcuding the domain itself, www.example.com).

Can someone explain whether the best way to accomplish this? Single tracking code with views/filters? Multiple tracking codes for subdomains? Thanks in advance for all of your help.  

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly W
March 2016

Re: Site changing from subdirectories to subdomains (including redirection). Not sure how to impleme

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kelly,

It is your decision if you want them tracked as two separate properties/sites or you want them tracked in a single property. If the content on the subdomains is part of the main site then I'd recommend using a single property with views/filters. Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Site changing from subdirectories to subdomains (including redirection). Not sure how to impleme

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,
Thanks for your reply! I want it tracked as one site, but I will need to pull out detail for just the stakeholders of the subdomain (and the referring /subdirectory). How will this appear in the GA interface? Will stats be listed under /subdirectory or under subdomain.example.com? How will I be able to differentiate (or merge) traffic for those two sources? (Sorry if these questions are somewhat elementary. I am not a GA pro. I'm trying to implement as as web dev for example.com.) Thanks Again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,
Based on you suggestions, I did a bit more research last night and think I have a handle on things. Thanks again for your help!