AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Site changing from subdirectories to subdomains (including redirection). Not sure how to implement.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm putting a new site live shortly and am finding conflicting resources for the proper GA implementation. 

The domain has been in existence for many years without GA implemented. Let's call it: www.example.com

A section of that site is being mostly redone: www.example.com/sub_directory and will become sub_domain.example.com with all traffic from www.example.com/sub_directory redirected to sub_domain.example.com

Eventually, when other sections of the domain are revamped, I will need analytics for those too (inlcuding the domain itself, www.example.com).

Can someone explain whether the best way to accomplish this? Single tracking code with views/filters? Multiple tracking codes for subdomains? Thanks in advance for all of your help.  

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly W
March 2016

Re: Site changing from subdirectories to subdomains (including redirection). Not sure how to impleme

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kelly,

It is your decision if you want them tracked as two separate properties/sites or you want them tracked in a single property. If the content on the subdomains is part of the main site then I'd recommend using a single property with views/filters. Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly W
March 2016

Re: Site changing from subdirectories to subdomains (including redirection). Not sure how to impleme

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kelly,

It is your decision if you want them tracked as two separate properties/sites or you want them tracked in a single property. If the content on the subdomains is part of the main site then I'd recommend using a single property with views/filters. Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,
Thanks for your reply! I want it tracked as one site, but I will need to pull out detail for just the stakeholders of the subdomain (and the referring /subdirectory). How will this appear in the GA interface? Will stats be listed under /subdirectory or under subdomain.example.com? How will I be able to differentiate (or merge) traffic for those two sources? (Sorry if these questions are somewhat elementary. I am not a GA pro. I'm trying to implement as as web dev for example.com.) Thanks Again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,
Based on you suggestions, I did a bit more research last night and think I have a handle on things. Thanks again for your help!