AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Site Redesign - Best Practices for Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're in the midst of a pretty significant website redesign which will bring about some major improvements in terms of our URL structures, naming conventions, site structure and navigation in general. 

Our current analytics set up has been less than perfect for reporting because we don't have consistent naming conventions for our pages and URLs (many thank you URLs are actually displayed as nodes, no consistency across the site, etc.) and I'm looking forward to having some kind of cleaner start - or I was.

Now that it's time to start setting it up - I'm not sure the best way to go about planning and implementation. Obviously, we want to keep our historical data so I want to maintain the same/current account. 

[sidenote- Our analytics is implemented through GTM] We have various other web properties that we want to (at the very least) consider during the planning stage to see whether or not it makes sense to do cross-domain tracking and subdomain tracking etc.

We do a lot of M&As so we have web properties that have accumulated in that regard which might be kind of nice to track (more of a luxury) but then we also have a technical support/community portal on a subdomain (some of which is behind a login), we have some sandbox demo sites - one is on a subdomain and another is on a different domain, we have subdomains we house assets on and use for other purposes.

My question is... where do I start?!

Do I create a new View or Property? But what about the legacy and existing filters that are tied to the account- is that another piece I need to be thinking of? I inherited our GA set up and was excited about getting a bit of a fresh start and having everything set up as close to best practices as possible but now I don't know where to start.

Do I create a new account/property/view dedicated to the dev site or just a new view for dev/staging purposes.. Am I overcomplicating this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Site Redesign - Best Practices for Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Rebecca d,

The short answer is, it might be a good time to consult with a GACP to thoroughly review your tracking strategy and implementation.

https://www.google.com/analytics/partners/search/services

That said, I would recommend tracking the same site in the same account and property, AND creating a new clean view for the launch. That gives you the best of both worlds.

In addition, you should always be tracking your sub-domains on the same tracker and use cross domain if it's part of the users normal journey to go site to site.

Hope that helps. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn