AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Single page application goal tracking issues

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

My issue is that my goal conversion tracking is very inconsistent on a single page application. I use mixpanel in conjunction so it's clear to me GA is considerably off.  The URL in the address bar does emulate traditional webpage navigation. When I look in developer tools, I can see the tracking code pixel firing with each 'page view' through the funnel, but GA isn't properly capturing these page views consistently.  I am using legacy tracking code. 

The funnel begins here: https://www.proreferral.com/request/94404/110/details?sourceId=homepage

My goal details are set up as follows:

/request/[0-9]*/[0-9]*/details

/request/[0-9]*/[0-9]*/matches

/request/[0-9]*/[0-9]*/overview

Destination: /request/[0-9]*/[0-9]*/next-steps/[0-9]*

Can someone take a peek at my tracking code and tell me if there are any issues with its implementation? I really appreciate it. Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael P
April 2016

Re: Single page application goal tracking issues

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
So problem is more likely related to page execution code and not the GA code itself...
Do you need further assistance with this problem or do you think you can sort it out?
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

only outright issue I could find with a quick peek was that your GA code is outside <head> tag.

Anyway can you tell a little bit more about the difference ( mixpanel is not familiar to me) and why do you think there is an inconsistency?

Please note that the funnel is even in basic setups very shaky and reports are inaccurate without any single-page issues...

Also please confirm that you meant that the numbers can be in the URL but also they can be missing:
* represents 0..n occurences.
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey, thanks for replying.

I'm aware that the GA code is outside the head, but i've never had trouble before. GA is tracking fine on all other pages, and the code is outside the <head>.

As an example of goal conversions from Mixpanel and our database it's around 200 from yesterday, but GA is only recording <40.

Can you expand on the funnel being shaky? Is that regular expression incorrect? The numbers in the URL are always present - it's capturing location and task number.

I've done a little more digging, and it looks like GA is tracking all the pages in the funnel, but there is a huge drop off on the confirmation page (almost 80%). So maybe GA is firing very inconsistently on that last page? To give a little context:

First page: 1,677 visits
Second page: 732
Third page: 436
Confirmation: 34

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I meant that at its best funnel repott is not to be trusted too much...

Before we start poking the regexp can you take a look at content report and check how many URLs there are that indicate conversion? I reckon every conversion has unique number, so if you filter all pages that contain next-steps you should get all conversions right? how many rows are there and are they correct conversions?
--

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So filtering for all pages that contain next-steps there are 34 conversions. The above numbers I listed were the taken from the all pages view.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I downloaded the GA debug extension, and it looks like a page view is only being fired when I click to the next page. For example, a page view is fired when I go to the first page in the funnel, but when I go to the second page, a page view isn't fired for that one, unless I navigate to the third page, and so forth.

Follow the link below for an example (I was having issues uploading it here):

http://imgur.com/HmrtmCO

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael P
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
So problem is more likely related to page execution code and not the GA code itself...
Do you need further assistance with this problem or do you think you can sort it out?
--

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm good. thank you