Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Setting up event tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys, I have setup Google Analytics via Google Tag Manager. I want to know can I setup custom event tracking without using tag manager? (Directly putting to the click event).
And if I remove Tag Manager code and put the GA tracking code directly to the header would I lose my past data? 

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to know can I setup custom event tracking without using tag manager? (Directly putting to the click event). Ans>> Yes. Just use the correct ga name tracker.

like: ga('myTrackerObj.send', 'event', 'category', 'action' , 'label'); // myTrackerObj: custom name for ga object set in GTM for GA tag.

And if I remove Tag Manager code and put the GA tracking code directly to the header would I lose my past data? >> No.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Charana,

Not using Tag Manager would be taking a step backwards as pretty much everything can be tracked via Tag Manager. A great resource for learning Tag Manager event tracking can be found at Measure School on YouTube.

At @A T mentioned, you can still put it directly into the click event if you wish.