AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Setting up event tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys, I have setup Google Analytics via Google Tag Manager. I want to know can I setup custom event tracking without using tag manager? (Directly putting to the click event).
And if I remove Tag Manager code and put the GA tracking code directly to the header would I lose my past data? 

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to know can I setup custom event tracking without using tag manager? (Directly putting to the click event). Ans>> Yes. Just use the correct ga name tracker.

like: ga('myTrackerObj.send', 'event', 'category', 'action' , 'label'); // myTrackerObj: custom name for ga object set in GTM for GA tag.

And if I remove Tag Manager code and put the GA tracking code directly to the header would I lose my past data? >> No.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Charana,

Not using Tag Manager would be taking a step backwards as pretty much everything can be tracked via Tag Manager. A great resource for learning Tag Manager event tracking can be found at Measure School on YouTube.

At @A T mentioned, you can still put it directly into the click event if you wish.