AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Setting up analytics for multilingual subdomains

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I just started to use analytics, but have already a challenge with our not so simple website. We have more languages, each language on its own subdomain, e.g. fr.domain.com, de.domain.com. And we want to see the analytics for each language/subdomain separately.

We use WordPress, and have the UA-ID filled in with the help of the All-in-One-SEO plugin, where we could not specify different IDs for each language. Yet, if the only way to address the different languages would be a separate property with its own UA-ID, we would need to find a way.

But maybe the experts here in the community can share some light into how you setup such configurations?

Thanks a lot in advance, Sofian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Atman A
August 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sofian, 

You can setup sub domain tracking for tracking the different language website separately.
Please refer to this resource, its very easy to understand
http://www.ericmobley.net/guide-to-tracking-multiple-subdomains-in-google-analytics/

Thanks 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Atman A
August 2017

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sofian, 

You can setup sub domain tracking for tracking the different language website separately.
Please refer to this resource, its very easy to understand
http://www.ericmobley.net/guide-to-tracking-multiple-subdomains-in-google-analytics/

Thanks 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Sahil, exactly what I needed and indeed very well written. Just a inconsistency about whether or not to set all subdomains as exluded referrals, it says to only add root domain without subdomains in the article, but in the FAQ to add all subdomains. I wrote the author to clarify, but maybe you also know what is the correct procedure?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sofian, 
Thanks for Acknowledgment. 

Sub-domains are not required to be added in the Referral exclusion list because the its in the same domain, which google analytics considers as same user.

Where as when you need to implement the cross domain tracking for a different domain, which google considers as different user for that you need to exclude the domain in the referral exclusion list, to keep the user same. 

Hope now its clear. Let me know if you experience any further challenge Smiley Happy