Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Setting custom variables in a server-side script

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've configured GTM/Analytics to track a host of transaction variables such as cost of goods, shipping cost estimates, and discounts to allow us to build a profitability dashboard in Analytics.  It is pure awesomeness and gives our paid search folks a very valuable tool for measuring ROI.  Now, to take it to the next level, I want to upload our daily fixed overhead into a custom metric so we can really track true profit.  However, we want it to be run by a PHP server-side cron script every day, so javascript isn't really an option.  Right now all the data is tied to transaction and product data sets and this would technically be a stand-alone data object that is posted each day.  This is new territory for me, so I'm hoping someone can point me to an example of such a thing.  Looking at the examples for custom metrics, it seems that the server-side equivalent of something like this is what I'd want:

ga('send', 'event', 'category', 'action', {

'metric19': 24.99
});

I would chose the number of the metric to be the next available metric index in Analytics and would set it as a Hit scope?  

Re: Setting custom variables in a server-side script

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2