Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Set up the same custom dimension for different forms submission steps

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, 

We have a website that has around 100 different form. We want to track this steps for all forms: 1) user arrives to form, 2) user completes the form (click on submit), 3) user arrives to thank you page (set up goal in GA). For every step, we want to identify the form.

For this, we created one custom dimension "Form Name" (Nombre Formulario) and two custom metrics "Form Started" (Formulario Iniciado) and "Form Completed" (Formulario Completado). We send this data to GA:

1. User arrives to form page: Form Name = xxxx, Form Started = 1

2. User clicks on submit button: Form Name = xxxx, Form Completed = 1

3. User arrives to thank you page (common thank you page for all forms): Form Name = xxxx

The thing is, it looks like there is something wrong in our configuration, because, for example, last week we had: 1034 goal completions, but 3596 "Form completed" (click on submit). And, if I try to get an analytic's report of goal completions by Form Name I get no results.

We are using Google Tag Manager for configuring GA.

Thanks, 

Captura de pantalla 2017-01-11 a las 09.50.38.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-01-11 a las 09.51.05.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-01-11 a las 09.51.20.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-01-11 a las 09.54.25.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-01-11 a las 09.54.01.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Oscar M the issue is goal can only be recorded once per session while the custom metric does not have that drawback. 

To get a number of goal completions by form name yuo will probably have to use segments or tie unique events and the custom dimension.

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Zorin Escape, thanks for the answer.

I see. Just for being sure, if we forget trying to count goal completions by Form Name. If we just use dimensions and metrics. Is it ok sending:

1) Dimension 1, Metric 1

2) Dimension 1, Metric 2

It that configuration correct?

Thanks, 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Oscar M - sorry for the late response - hectic start of the year.

If you opt to track it with the custom metrics make sure you understand that the metric 1 (Formulario Iniciado) will be added up each time a use enters the step. But in essence you can do it like that.

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net