Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Session length and application standby (Android)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

consider next scenario.

1. Application launches.
  2. Set screen name using t.setScreenName(screenName);
  3. Send screenview event using t.send(new HitBuilders.ScreenViewBuilder().build());
  4. User turns off device screen
  5. In a few hours, user would turn on device screen and continue use application.

So the question is: after device standby, when user returns to application, would the screen name still be used ? I'm curious because I want to solve a problem with The Landing Pages report has a (not set) entry. warning. I can see that I have a plenty of sessions with 0 screen views and this makes me think that each new session should contain screenview event....

P.S. If you have any suggestion how to fight The Landing Pages report has a (not set) entry. on Android it would also be helpful.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Session length and application standby (Android)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Sessions time out after 30 minutes, so even though the user 'continues' using your app after a longer period, GA would see the two as separate sessions. You are using the phrase 'screenview event', which makes me thing you are sending an 'event' instead of a 'screenview'. Landing pages report screenviews, not events. You need to have the app send a 'screenview' when it resumes/gains focus [can you tell I'm not an app programmer?]

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Mike, your reply makes perfect sense to me, but it contradicts a bit to a "The Landing Pages report has a (not set) entry" warning in Google Analytics dashboard.
Analytics Help tells us:
"If you see (not set) as a value for Landing Page, this is generally due to a session with no page or screen view level hits included."

But it looks like there is no simple way to fix this since it's not easy to detect when app gains focus after screen was off (or Dreaming screen in Android)....

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If your app send a screenview for the page as it is loaded, GA would see a landing page.
...>30 minute sleep...
If your app sends an event as they continue to use the app, ever so briefly, GA would see an event...(not set) landing page results.

The difference is whether you send an event or a screenview. Can you add a simple timer since the last time it sent a screenview, and send a new one before the event if > 30 minutes?
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.