AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Session Unification Query

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We are currently evaluating Google Analytics. I have few questions around its session unification. Below is my use case:

1) I have a user A who is anonymously doing certain activity on chrome - (Let's say GA assigns C1 (cid) to it)

2) Second day, user A again does certain activity anonymously on chrome - (C1 is still there)

3) Third day, user A logs in with uid "U1"

My question are:

1) Will both the sessions of day 1 and day 2 will be stitched to U1 or just the last session i.e. day 2 is stitched?

2) Now if I again log out and perform certain acitvity anonymously, will my session will still be stitched as GA already has the mapping between my cid and uid with it?

Re: Session Unification Query

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

1. Session timout ideall is only for 30 minutes. So after closing the browser / session timeout i.e. expiry session details cease to exist. So only 3rd day session activity pre-login with uid U1 will get stitched.

Since session unification setting is turned ON by default, all of the hits collected before and during the login in a user id session are automatically associated with user id.

Google Analytics will not go back in time and stitch every single session from a given user together.

2. Post log out, uid U1 won't be present , so no session unification.

please refer: http://cutroni.com/blog/2014/04/10/understanding-cross-device-measurement-and-the-user-id/

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

We are trying to build a user journey for conversion using GA. We need to track every session/ activity of user to map it out. So, I m little confused here, what you are trying to say is if :
1) User A does an activity on day 1 anonymously
2) User A again does an activity on day 2 anonymously
3) User A logs in after doing certain activity on day 3 and converts.

Only my 3rd Day activity will be stitched provided its session has not expired (<30m) else that also will not be stitched. So, apart from my current session no other session can be stitched as they ll be either day/days old or more than 30min old?
Also, are you saying the sessions that expire are not counted by GA anymore, I mean, that data is lost?
If GA, ignores the session that has expired, Are there any other tools available in market that can help us provide the capability to stitch all user activities?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Session unification allows hits collected before the User-ID is assigned to be associated with the ID, as long as those hits happen within the same session in which a specific ID value is assigned for the first time.

This means that Google Analytics will only associate hits collected in the same session AND it must be in the first session where the User-ID is set.

Sessions that expire will definitely get counted but not unified stitched.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Also do refer the blog url and the video tutorial shared.