AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Session Duration Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

SITUATION:

We are running FB ads to get people to go to a client's landing page and read an article. We are tracking this traffic with UTM codes. We have been reporting amazing result for Time on Page to our client: 5min-10min. It was just recently brought to our attention that the Time on Page metric only pertains to the non bounce traffic. The traffic we send has a 90% bounce rate. It was also recently brought to our attention that the average session duration for this same UTM code is under a minute.

I did find these definitions which were very helpful:

Avg. Time on Page is the average amount of time visitors spent viewing a specified page or set of pages.

Avg. Visit Duration is the average time duration of a session. A session is, a single visit by one person. The session or visit ends after a specified amount of time (default is 30 minutes) of in-activity, at the end of the day (midnight), or if a visitor arrives via one campaign, leaves, and then comes back via a different campaign.

QUESTIONS:

1. Does Google Analytics attribute a 0 time-on-site value for each of the 90% who bounce when calculating the session duration for that same campaign traffic?

2. Given that the Time On Page metric is tied only to the visitors that didn't bounce, does that Average Time On Page include the time spent on whatever page the visitor went to (in essence accounting for their entire session) or is it definitively just the time that the visitor spent on that page?

3. When looking at session duration for the campaign, does the 30 minute timeout only get calculated for those didn't bounce (I'd assume so, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything).

Thanks!!!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe S
November 2016

Session Duration Issue

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Joe,

Answers

1. Does Google Analytics attribute a 0 time-on-site value for each of the 90% who bounce when calculating the session duration for that same campaign traffic?

A: GA requires two hits (pageviews, events) in order to calculate time on page so if a second view or interaction event never occurs as is the case in the bounced visits - then the value is 0.

2. Given that the Time On Page metric is tied only to the visitors that didn't bounce, does that Average Time On Page include the time spent on whatever page the visitor went to (in essence accounting for their entire session) or is it definitively just the time that the visitor spent on that page?

A: It depends on where you look and how your analytics is configured (whether or not you are using content grouping).  That is, if you are looking at page level reports then the time on page includes only the time on that page for session where a bounce does not occur (bounces are all 0).  If you are using content grouping or content drilldown then it includes time on page for the group or sub-directory which you are exploring.

3. When looking at session duration for the campaign, does the 30 minute timeout only get calculated for those didn't bounce (I'd assume so, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything). 

A:  30 minute timeout is for all sessions and could be the cause of the bounce.  That is, if a user lands on this long article, and takes longer than 30 minutes to read it, while taking no action (event or additional pageview) then the session would bounce.    e.g.  open the page, go to lunch, come back in an hour and then click through to another page would give you 1 user, two sessions.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe S
November 2016

Session Duration Issue

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Joe,

Answers

A: GA requires two hits (pageviews, events) in order to calculate time on page so if a second view or interaction event never occurs as is the case in the bounced visits - then the value is 0.

A: It depends on where you look and how your analytics is configured (whether or not you are using content grouping).  That is, if you are looking at page level reports then the time on page includes only the time on that page for session where a bounce does not occur (bounces are all 0).  If you are using content grouping or content drilldown then it includes time on page for the group or sub-directory which you are exploring.

A:  30 minute timeout is for all sessions and could be the cause of the bounce.  That is, if a user lands on this long article, and takes longer than 30 minutes to read it, while taking no action (event or additional pageview) then the session would bounce.    e.g.  open the page, go to lunch, come back in an hour and then click through to another page would give you 1 user, two sessions.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Session Duration Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Huge help, thanks Theo!

Session Duration Issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! how long does the google analytics certificate last? forever? Which is certificate which lasts at longest? Many thanks!