AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Separate users by url arguments? (feature1=on&feature2=off)

Vee
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Vee
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am performing a series of A/B testing on my site through an A/B split test engine.

I've designed my site to use url arguments to enable and disable features. For example,

www.mysite.com?entryDialog=1

will turn the feature "Entry Dialog" on.

I am trying to use Google Analytics to study the effects of features on users. In particular, I am interested to measure things such as Average Session Duration and Bounce Rate.

However, I have a hard time trying to get this to work with GA. Right now, I am using

ga('create', 'UA-myid-1', 'auto');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

to send a pageview.

According to the documentation on pageview, I have only title, location and page for this call.

How can I add an additional parameter "feature" to pageview such that I can segment my GA reporting by features?

Is there a better way to do this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Separate users by url arguments? (feature1=on&feature2=off)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

you could use Advanced Segments:

Entry Dialog - page contains entryDialog=1

allowing you to see all users who have enabled the feature at some point.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.