Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Sending Email Adresses to GA, confirm for me this is not allowed by ToS

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings all,

I have found that one of the GA implementations I inherited is sending the client email address to GA as a custom dimension. No other data is sent (name, addresses, etc)

Correct me if i am wrong, but the GA Terms of service explicitly prohibit me from sending email address to GA, and hence I need to turn off this collection, correct?

Are there any cases where it IS ok to send email addresses to GA?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

This is clearly *NOT* allowed.

It is not allowed to send any PII info, including social security numbers, names, birth date combined with other info which could identify an individual user. Look under point "7.Privacy"

You *CAN* send a user id which you can merge with you own owned data source (like a CRM or sales system).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Understood, will remove this now.

The Address is still publicly visible in the DataLayer. Should I be concerned about that? 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Having the email (or any PII) in the dataLayer is fine since it's limited to the client side and not sent to Google automatically. For example, you could have a tag from another vendor which doesn't have those restrictions and send the email to them - this would be fine.

Something else to watch for in GA which I have often seen. Go under Behavior/Site Content/All Pages, in the report search box, enter "@". See if there are any rows with something that looks like an email. Those are often unsubscribe links embedded directly in emails which passes the email address in clear on the URL - this is generally considered a bad practice (it should be changed to send the subscriber id instead, or minimally, apply a GA filter to remove those from the incoming link)