AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Self referrals in mobile version on subdomain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've got problem with self referrals. This problem started when we run mobile version in subdomain. Unfortunately, device detection is used after the page is loaded. So, we have situation that when user enter the page, first desktop version is loaded (but not to the end), and then re-loaded to mobile version. As a result lot of mobile traffic has the self referrer as source. We use gs.js, not the analytics.js (also unfortunately Smiley Wink ).

What we can do with this situation? I'll be grateful for any advices or ideas Smiley Happy Site is 50style.pl

Anna

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Self referrals in mobile version on subdomain

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anna,

For ga.js you need to use the _addIgnoredRef() command:
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/methods/gaJSApiSearchEngines#_gat....

Once you upgrade to Universal Analytics you'll need to add your domain to the referral exclusion list:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

thanks for answer.

_addIgnoredRef() was on this site, but today I notice, that were two Analytics code, one in source code and one in GTM. And I switch off code in GTM and there was _addIgnoredRef(). Do you think that it didn't work because of double code?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

You were double tracking the site and most likely the analytics tag in GTM was universal analytics. This caused the self referral because you have not had your domain added to the referral exclusion list.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital